McCormack + Kristel is a national provider of executive search consulting services for nonprofit and philanthropic organizations. Established in 1993, as McCormack & Associates, by veteran search consultant Joseph A. McCormack, the firm was the first openly LGBTQ-owned retained search firm in the country and among the first to specialize in diversity recruiting.
Founded with the mission of filling senior leadership positions in the HIV/AIDS sector during the height of the AIDS epidemic, today, McCormack + Kristel serves a broad spectrum of mission-driven organizations with a focus on advocacy, healthcare, social services, and social justice. Over the last five years, the firm has led more than 60 searches. Recent placements include CEOs, C-Suite executives, and board members for organizations including ACLU, Astraea Foundation, Dr. Susan Love Foundation, Lambda Legal, Just Detention International, Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, NRDC, Rainbow Railroad, SAGE and TransForm.
McCormack + Kristel is veteran- and woman-owned and a longtime certified diversity supplier. A true boutique practice, members of the firm’s five-person team are all subject matter experts dedicated to strengthening leadership and building capacity within nonprofit organizations and the foundations that support them.
Under the general supervision of the Managing Partner and with oversight of the search team, the Search Consultant is responsible for winning and leading executive searches. Leveraging nonprofit leadership and organizational development expertise, the Search Consultant is a trusted advisor to our clients and effective advocate for our candidates.
With responsibility for leading multiple engagements, the Search Consultant is an adept project manager able to set realistic expectations, meet competing timelines and deliverables, and ensure successful outcomes. The consultant is a strategic thinker advising clients on issues such as reporting structure, compensation parity and onboarding plans.
Search Consultants have excellent interpersonal skills and are talented relationship managers effectively collaborating with clients, courting candidates and mining sources. They are skilled problem solvers who must consider the totality of a client’s need, which often goes well beyond filling an open specific position. Exceptional Search Consultants have the self-confidence to deliver honest opinions to a client and the humility to engage in collaborative problem solving.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Engage in all aspects of business development including identifying prospective clients, crafting proposals, and participating on pitches;
- Work closely with clients to understand the organization’s culture and to define the position and ideal candidate profile;
- Collaborate with Senior Associate and Recruiting Coordinator to develop the Research Plan and Marketing Strategy;
- Lead candidate courtship and assessment including recruiting, interviewing, and conducting reference calls;
- Guide clients through candidate selection process including writing candidate reports, developing interview questions, providing evaluation tools, and facilitating deliberation and selection;
- Maintain open and effective lines of communication with clients throughout search and during placements’ first years including preparing search status reports, leading check-in calls, and conducting 30, 90, 180-day follow-up calls;
- Ensure all search activities reflect the firm’s commitment to building diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplaces.
- Professional experience that includes interviewing and evaluating for executive and senior-level nonprofit leadership positions. Nonprofit executive leadership, search consulting, recruiting, HR, or organizational development experience is ideal;
- Project management skills including the ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet competing deadlines;
- Exceptional relationship building and client management skills including a consultative approach to problem solving and the ability to anticipate client needs;
- The ability to effectively foster and lead collaborative partnerships;
- A thorough understanding of equitable hiring practices including experience utilizing tools and coaching hiring managers and committees to reduce bias;
- Superior oral and written communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail in the development of reports, proposals, and other materials;
- Strong sales and negotiation skills to win business, recruit passive candidates, and fill positions;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 and experience with CRMs or recruiting software such as Encore Max, File Finder or Bullhorn/Talent Rover;
- Advanced online research skills, team collaboration applications and social media marketing experience are value-adds.
- A strong commitment to enhancing leadership capacity within nonprofit and philanthropic organizations;
- Knowledge of the history, issues, and influencers shaping the LGBTQ, HIV/AIDS, racial, economic, and environmental social justice movements;
- Comfort working remotely and independently;
- Willingness and ability to travel and to conduct work during evenings and weekends;
- Unwavering commitment to upholding the firm’s values of integrity and exceptional customer care.
McCormack + Kristel offers a generous commission structure and staff support for research, candidate development, scheduling, posting, document production and other administrative activities. Search Consultants will be engaged initially as commission-based independent contractors. Bonuses, profit sharing, and partnership opportunities will be extended to consultants who prove to be exceptional recruiters, business developers, and client managers.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
McCormack + Kristel believes diversity, equity, and inclusion are the essential pillars of healthy, thriving organizations. The firm was established with a mission to ensure all qualified candidates are given equal consideration by our clients. Through continuous learning and process enhancements, we endeavor to minimize bias in the candidate evaluation and selection process and increase diverse leadership in the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors. With the understanding that equitable policies and inclusive cultures are critical to the success of diverse placements, we commit to providing critical insights and honest feedback to our clients.
Core to our firm’s values is the belief that all organizations, including our own, should reflect the rich diversity of the communities and constituents they serve and the country we call home. We embrace diverse perspectives and experiences and strive to create a culture that is welcoming and inclusive.
Search Consultants work remotely from home and shared offices across the country. Search Consultants can work from anywhere with the understanding most client business is conducted between the hours of 9 am ET and 5 pm PT and that when post-COVID travel resumes, travel expenses are reimbursed by nonprofit clients who are generally cost sensitive.
Please submit, in confidence, your cover letter and résumé as attachments via e-mail to:
Michelle Kristel, Managing Partner
1740 Broadway, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212.531.5003 | Fax: 212.203.9599
Email: email@example.com | Websitewww.mccormackkristel.com
McCormack + Kristel is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or family status, veteran status, height, weight, disability, record of arrest or conviction, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
People of color, women, veterans, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.